Sunday, November 8, 2009

Boundaries & Networks

We all live in a day and age where we are linked by global networks and divided by invisible but very real boundaries. We rely on these to manage and in a sense be managed in our everyday lives. In essence, we are "connecting creatures who must always separate and who cannot connect without separating." (p.8, Me++) Knowing our place within these liberties and limitations can help us better understand where our lives stand.
I feel that me, myself have for the most part the same freedoms and constraints like most other people I associate with. Being human, I am a single cell in the network of humanity. I nakedly consist of flesh and bones. My dwelling provides me with creature comforts that enable me to do a majority of my interactions from home. Here I am simply clothed in a single layer of clothing that does not include shoes or any kind of hats or gloves. When venturing out of my home I must equip myself properly. I wear sneakers to ease my feet as I am on them all day either standing or roaming. If it is cold out I upgrade to boots and cover my extremities with a hat and gloves. Ontop of that single layer of clothing I must also layer up wit a hoodie and jacket.
My networks much like others consist of my daily activities and errands. When I attend class I am linked to students attending the same school and more directly to students that take the classes I do. When I run errands I am linked to my neighbors who shop at the same stores, play poker at the same parks and drink at the same bars. All of these are linked together by my common method of transportation, the "Iron Horse" or subway. In all these environments however I experience the same limitations most people. In school my instructors set the codes of conduct as the school sets the time frame I am in attendance there. When I am at a store the management sets the price I pay for items. When I am at the park the police regulate my conduct with penalties for certain actions. When i am the bar the bartender decides when I get my drinks and where I may smoke. By far the most significant of my limitations is my mode of transportation. The MTA decides when my train comes, when I arrive at my destination and how much I must pay to use it's services.

No comments:

Post a Comment