Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Final Project Research

12.07.09 ---> I have finally completed my final project. It was tedious learning how to run through the technical aspects of chopping and re-attaching the "Matrix" film segments. In my attempt to veer away from Kung-Fu fight scenes I felt I was producing too much of a lyric to action association which in my opinion was stale. Also I felt I was not paying proper homage to the film itself by not including the signature aspects of the movie. The film itself revolutionized special effects for it's time majorly with the use of "Bullet Time". Not including these features would just be wrong. In my final review the empty time fit perfectly for cinematic effect at the end of the actual beat on the audio track. I also chose to omit the dialogues I was going to use at the end of the KRS-One track. The track itself does deal with a racial issue but unfortunately the 1 main black character in the film for the most part gets beat up in every fight scene he is in with Agent Smith. This is 1 aspect I was not trying to include. Sorry Morpheus. Although I tend to wait til the last day of presentations to show my work I have posted the video on YouTube so anyone that actually keeps up with my blog can get a sneak peek. Enjoy!


11.29.09 ---> At this point the production is at the "ugly draft" stage in terms of comparison to a written work. There are a couple of kinks I still have to figure out. This mostly consists of linking the original "Matrix" audio track to that of the song's at the beginning and end. Another set back is coming up with four and a half minutes of relevant content. Although the amazing fight scenes in the film run well over the length of the audio track I want it to consist of more than Neo's crew kicking ass with Kung-Fu. I am considering running real life riot footage in the gaps. This will partner up well with the "Matrix" footage but I must carefully select what to include as some riot footage may be too graphic for scholastic use. All in all I'd say this production is shaping up well. I just hope everyone can appreciate the message.


11.24.09 ---> Much to my own surprise I actually have something I can be proud of in the works. The clips I have already incorporated into the blend have provided me with a sort of skeleton infrastructure to work with. There will most likely also be short movie samples at the beginning and end of the audio track. Not to give too much away in details, but both samples consist of three to four line dialogues this production could just not go without. I am strongly considering sticking to the first "Matrix" film though. Since it has already been screened in class I figure it will be the easiest for everyone to relate with. I don't want to lose any viewers by basing the segment on visual content some may have not seen yet. Although in my opinion the audio track it dead-on with the comparison I am making, I don't want to put too much weight on the audience necessarily appreciating the song. After all the KRS-One track is in there because personally, I like it. At this point I think this work in progress is maturing at a steady pace. Despite the fact that I enjoy the whole creative editing process it does eventually become tedious. Now that it's coming together I don't find myself dreading the deadline as much. However, time IS of the essence.


11.17.09 ---> Well much like every other academic duty I've ever encountered I have waited damn near close to the last minute to get started. Procrastination, the story of my life. I am currently reviewing clips from the entire "Matrix" trilogy to see which best suit the context I would like to use them in. Although I was warned that taking the video modification assignment as opposed to the other four options would be difficult despite sounding the funnest I am almost certain I can produce a work that applies directly to the topic. I am doing a "Matrix" themed revision of KRS-One's classic "Sound of the Police". It meets the criteria of social relevance as well as producing an opportunity to truly tie in the subtle but apparent similarities between different characters and their real world counter parts. Agent Smith to the police and Neo's crew to that of anyone wanting real freedom for starters. Selecting clips however if anything, is the easy part. The true test of accomplishment will be working lab time in M121 into my already hectic schedule. They say "where there's a will, there's a way." We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Matt, my name is Paola. I'm in Dr.Smith's 103 class. I'd like to commend you on your choice for media presentation. I hope that I'll be able to see it, it sounds very interesting (I love KRS 1!)
    I've had a problem with procrastination as well and I'd like to offer some friendly advice.
    This semester I have carried an agenda with me to all my classes and I've given myself deadlines; not the same deadlines that my professors have given me to hand in my work. I think of MY dealines as very important and they MUST be met (or suffer the consequences). The deadline is a couple of days before my work is done. So far I've slipped a little but it has helped me a great deal handing in my work on time and not having to "break-night" so as to hand in my work on time. Remember, "There is no spoon". If you set your mind to it you CAN do ANYTHING!
    Best of luck!

    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very honest and to the point. You don't beat around the bush. You express yourself clearly. Your ideas sound rather interesting... I can't wait to see what you put together in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I watch your Youtube clip. Music and movie match well, especially, editing is so nice.it is like MTV stuff. Good job! Matt!!!

    ReplyDelete